Meet Dermatologist, Dr. Cole
Dr. Cole has trained many of the dermatologists locally and nationally over the past 25 years. He continues to participate in the education and residency specialty training of dermatologists at the University of California, Irvine.
GARY WILLIAM COLE, M.D.
College University of California, Los Angeles
Internship Los Angeles County/University of Southern California Medical Center
June 1973-June 1974
Residency Dermatology, University of Oregon Health Sciences Center,
July 1974-July 1977
Medical Licensure 1974 – California (G 27624)
Board Certification 1977 – American Board of Dermatology
Academic Adjunct Professor of Dermatology, University of California, Irvine
Medical Staff Physician, UCIMC, Orange, CA
Professional Organizations American Academy of Dermatology
Society for Investigative Dermatology
Dermatologic Society of Orange County
American Contact Dermatitis Society
Noah Worcester Dermatology Society
1. Cole G W : Aspects of Immunity to Listeria monocytogenes, Master’s Thesis in Microbiology, University of California, Los Angeles Biomedical Library, 1970.
2. Cole G W, Amon R B, Russell P S: Secondary syphilis presenting as a pruritic dermatosis. Arch Dermatol 113:489-490, 1977.
3. Cole G W and Wuepper K D: Isolation and partial characterization of a keratinocyte proliferative factor produced by Streptococcus pyogenes ( Strain NY-5). J Invest Dermatol 71:219-223, 1978.
4. Cole G W, Gebhard J: Mycobacterium avium infection of the skin resembling lepromatous leprosy. Brit J Dermatol 101:71-74, 1978.
5. Headley J L and Cole G W: The development of pseudo-Kaposi’s sarcoma after placement of a vascular access graft. Brit J Dermatol 102:327-331, 1979.
6. Young D F and Cole G W: The verrucous mermaid – the development of warts in a tattoo. Int J Dermatol 18:816-817, 1979.
7. Cole G W: New developments in bacteriology for dermatologists. Int J Dermatol 20:164-167, 1981.
8. Cole G W et al.: The ultrasonic evaluation of skin thickness in scleredema. J Clin Ultrasound 9:501-503, 1981.
9. Cole G W and Barr R: An elastic tissue defect in dermatofibrosis lenticularis disseminata. Arch Dermatol 118:44-46, 1982.
10. Cole G W: Warts are important, too. West J Med 6:865, 1983
11. Cole G W, Headley J, Skowsky R: Scleredema diabeticorum: a common and distinct cutaneous manifestation of diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Care 6:189-192, 1983.
12. Katz, H I, Fridley M N, Cole, G W, et al. : SCH 370 (clotrimazole-betamethasone diproprionate) cream in patients with tinea cruris or tinea corporis. Cutis 34:183-187, 1984.
13. Klein J, Cole G W, et al.: Paraffinomas of the scalp. Arch Dermatol 121:382-385, 1985.
14. Rullan P, Barr R, Cole G W: Cyclosporine and murine allergic contact dermatitis. Arch Dermatol 1179-1183, 1984.
15. Cole G W, Herzlinger, D: Alopecia universalis in identical twins. Int J Dermatol 23:283, 1984.
16. Cole G W and Silverberg N: The adherence of Staphylococcus aureus to human corneocytes. Arch Dermatol 122:166-169, 1986.
17. Cole G W: Chloracne. West J Med 143: 229, 1985.
18. Jegasothy B, Jacobson C, Cole G W et al.: Clobetasol propionate versus fluocinonide creams in psoriasis and eczema. Int J Dermatol 24:461-465, 1985
19. Cole G W and Barr R: Hypomelanosis associated with a colonic abnormality. Am J Dermpath 9:45-50, 1987.
20. Cole G W, Stone O, Gates D, Culver D: Chloracne from pentachlorophenol-preserved wood. Contact Derm 15:164-168, 1986.
21. Cole G W: Mycobacterium marinum infection in a mechanic. Contact Derm 16:283-284, 1987.
22. Klein L and Cole G W: Norwegian scabies in a diabetic alcoholic. Int J Derm 26:467-468, 1987.
23. Cole G W, Shimomaye S, Goodman M: The effect of topical cyclosporin A on the elicitation phase of allergic contact dermatitis. Contact Derm 19:129-132, 1988.
24. Cole G W: The volume of leg ulcers. Derm Surg Onc 14:421-423, 1988.
25. Medansky R, Rennie B, Cole G, et al.: Mometasone Furoate ointment and cream 0.1 percent in the treatment of psoriasis: comparison with ointment and cream formulations of fluocinolone acetonide 0.025 percent and triamcinolone acetonide 0.1 percent.
Cutis 42:480-485, 1988.
26. Stewart J, Cole G, Klein J: Neutralized Lidocaine with Epinephrine for Local Anesthesia. J Derm Surg Onc 15:108-11083, 1989.
27. Cole G, Stricklin G: A Comparison of a New Oral Antifungal, Terbinafine, With Griseofulvin as Therapy for Tinea Corporis. Arch Dermatol 125:1537-1539, 1989.
28. Fakjian N, Cole G, Lewis S, and Miller J: An Argument for Circumcision: The Prevention of Balanitis in the Adult. Arch Dermatol 126:1046-2047, 1990.
29. Stewart J, Chinn S, Cole G, Klein J: Neutralized Lidocaine with Epinephrine for Local Anesthesia-II. J Surg Derm Onc 16:842-845, 1990.
30. Bagatell F K, Bart B, Cole G, et al.: Naftifine Gel in the Treatment of Tinea Pedis: Two Double-blind, Multicenter Studies. Cutis 48:85-88, 1991
31. Gooch W F, Kaminester L, Cole G et al.: Clinical comparison of cefuroxime axetil, cephalexin and cefadroxil in the treatment of patients with primary infections of the skin or skin structures. Dermatologica 183:36-43, 1991
32. Green L and Cole G: A comparison study of 7.5% lactic acid cream and 12% lactic acid lotion in psoriatic patients with xerosis cutis. Cosmetic Dermatol 7:44-45, 1994
33. Green L and Cole G: Pityriasis rotunda in an elderly black American. J Geriat Dermatol 2: 177-179, 1994
34. Cole G: Look out for latex. West J Med:360-361, 1994
35. Eastham J H, Segal J L, Gomez M, Cole G: Reversal of erythema multiforme major with cyclophosphamide and prednisone. Ann Pharm 30: 606-607, 1996
36. Drake L, Hordinsky M , Cole G et al: The effects of finasteride on scalp skin and serum androgen levels in men with androgenetic alopecia. J Am Acad Dermatol 41:550-554, 1999
37. Weinstock M, Bingham S, Cole G et al: Reliability of counting actinic keratoses before and after a brief consensus discussion. Arch Dermatol 137:1055-1058, 2001
1. Cole G: Viral Diseases of the Skin. in Conn’s Current Therapy, ed by Rakel R, W.B. Saunders Company, Philadelphia, 1992 pp. 758-761.
2. Cole, G: Cutaneous Candidiasis. In Cutaneous Medicine and Surgery, ed. by Arndt, K A et al., W. B. Saunders Company, Philadelphia, 1996, pp. 1056-1059
1. Cole G and Wuepper K: Isolation of a keratinocyte mitogenic factor from Streptococcus pyogenes. J Invest Dermatol 68:124, 1977.
2. Cole G and Wuepper K: Isolation of a keratinocyte mitogenic factor from Streptococcus pyogenes. Clin Res 25:99A, 1977.
3. Cole G: Staphylococcal adherence to human corneocytes. J Invest Dermatol 73:310, 1979.
4. Cole G: Staphylococcal adherence to atopic corneocytes. Clin Res 26: 153A, 1981.
5. Cole G and Headley J: Scleredema diabeticorum. Clin Res 26:153A, 1981.
6. Perejda A, Cole G, Anderson L, Uitto J: Scleredema diabeticorum. Clin Res 31:149A, 1983.
7. Rullan P, Barr R, and Cole G: The effect of cyclosporin A on murine allergic contact dermatitis. Clin Res 31:149A, 1983.
8. Rosenberg R, Cole G, Tong N: Ultrastructure of dermatophyte infection in skin. Clin Res 36:253A, 1988.
9. Rosenberg R and Cole G: Adherence of Trichophyton rubrum microspores to human keratinocytes. Clin Res 36:253A, 1988.
10. Collins J, Binder R, Cole G et al.: A multicenter, randomized comparison of the efficacy and safety of cefuroxime axetil, cephalexin and cefadroxil in treatment of primary infections of the skin or skin structures. ICAAC Meeting, Atlanta Georgia 1989
11. Dangaran K, Cole G, and Vulpe M: Wound Healing and Inflammation in the Skin of Paraplegics. Clin Res 42:20A, 1994.
12. Waldstreicher J, Cole G et al.: Effect of Finasteride on Dihyudrotestosterone Content of Scalp Skin in Men with Male Pattern Baldness. J Invest Dermatol 102:615, 1994
13. Weinstock, M, Bingham S, Cole G, et al: Reliability of Counting Actinic Keratosis and the Impact of Brief Consensus Discussion: the VA Topical Tretinoin Chemoprevention Study. J Invest Dermatol114:887
Gold Award for historical excellence at the 1987 national meeting of the American Academy of Dermatology for a poster entitled:
“A Gourmet’s Guide to Dermatology” by Lorrie Klein and Gary Cole.