Notalgia Paresthetica Blog and support Site
Notalgia Paresthetica (NP) is a very common, underrecognized and under-diagnosed medical condition.
NP causes intermittent itching of the mid back, just under the shoulder blade area.
What is Notalgia ?
- Sensory neuropathic syndrome of the back skin
- May include localized burning, pain, tenderness, hyperalgesia, or dysesthesias on a small patch of the mid back just under the shoulder blade (scapula)
- Associated with a poorly circumscribed tan or hyperpigmented patch
- Chronic condition with ups and downs
- Usually gets worse in the evening and just before bedtime
- Causes discomfort and nuisance to affected patients
- Common disorder which remains largely underdiagnosed
- Effective treatments are available including TENS unit applied to the neck base, neck and upper back massage, neck range of motion exercises, and expert physical therapy