THE SKIN CENTER: PRE & AFTERCARE INSTRUCTIONS: www.aderm.us
□PRE-CARE (reduce staph & skin infections) TSCFRM revised 1/28/11, 12-24-06
1. CLEANSE*: Wash your body with Hibiclens cleanser starting 2 days before your procedure appointment. Do not get in eyes or mouth.
2. NOSE*: Neosporin twice daily to your nostrils for 2 days before for face biopsies & all surgeries
3. For all surgeries, ask about antibiotic prevention:
□Keflex take 2 capsules 1 hour before surgery, 2 capsules 6 hours after surgery, and 2 capsules the next AM.
□Cipro take 1 caplet hour before surgery, 1 @6 hours after surgery, and 1 @ the next AM.
□Doxycycline or Adoxa take 1 pill 1 hour before surgery, 1 @6 hours after surgery, and 1 @ the next AM.
□BIOPSY1. Please keep area bandaged, clean & dry until tomorrow AM. You may shower tomorrow.
2.CLEANSE*: After the Band-Aid is removed, clean the site 1-2 times a day with hydrogen peroxide, Hibiclens, or soap and water.
3.MOISTEN*: Apply Vaseline or an antibiotic cream like Neosporin 2-4 times daily, after each cleaning.
4.FOLLOW UP*: 2 weeks for wound check and test results with doctor.
□ “FREEZING /BURNING OFF”
Shower, bathe & use your normal make-up to the treated areas. Often the treated areas look WORSE before getting better ( blister, scab, turn pink/dark). Blisters may develop, some may be blood blisters. If these are very uncomfortable you may take a small needle (cleaned with alcohol) and puncture the blister.
*Cleanse, Moisten, and follow up as above.
1. Keep site dry for 24 hours. Remove bulky dressing after 24 hours. You may shower tomorrow.
2. Leave butterfly tape strips (called steri- strips) on skin. No other wound care is needed while butterfly tapes are intact. If butterflies fall off before your next appointment, you may start to cleanse* and moisten the area as above.
3. RETURN FOR WOUND CHECK & SUTURE REMOVAL in average 11-14 DAYS.
BLEEDING: Reduce bleeding & swelling risks by limiting activities for 24-48 hours. If bleeding occurs, apply firm & constant pressure over the bandage for 10-15 minutes without peeking. For face, consider applying ice bag or frozen peas, for 5-10 minutes 4-6 times daily. May also sleep elevated on several pillows.
INFECTION: Minimize infection risks by avoiding oceans, pools, or Jacuzzis for 2 weeks. Minimize scars and stretching by limiting your activity: NO heavy lifting, straining, stretching, exercise for 2 wks.
SCARS: For best results, please keep scars protected from sunlight for 6 months. Surgical scars continue to mature and improve for average of 3-9 months. Keloid or red/ thick scars can be treated with cortisone injections. Poor aftercare or improper activity precautions may result in adverse effects and poor wound scars.
*****Please note feet and lower legs are always much, much slower to heal, often taking 4-8 weeks.
**Please call & Return to office if any of these symptoms occur: (949) 582-7699**
1. Bleeding that does not stop after firm constant pressure.
2. Signs of infection such as increasing redness, pain, red streaks, swelling, heat, tenderness, or yellow pus. If cant get into office right away, go to urgent care or the emergency room.