Notalgia Paresthetica Blog and support Site
Notalgia Paresthetica (NP) is a very common, underrecognized and under-diagnosed medical condition.
NP causes intermittent itching of the mid back, just under the shoulder blade area.
Notalgia Paresthetica, Left Back Notalgia, Shoulder NP and BRP, Neck MRI in Notalgia, Notalgia photo, Neck MRI disk disease C4-C6, Left Back Notalgia, Itchy Back Under Bra Photo, Notalgia photo back, Paresthetica- Notalgia picture
What is Notalgia ?
- Sensory neuropathic syndrome of the back skin
- May include localized burning, pain, tenderness, hyperalgesia, or dysesthesias on a small patch of the mid back just under the shoulder blade (scapula)
- Associated with a poorly circumscribed tan or hyperpigmented patch
- Chronic condition with ups and downs
- Usually gets worse in the evening and just before bedtime
- Causes discomfort and nuisance to affected patients
- Common disorder which remains largely underdiagnosed
- Effective treatments are available including TENS unit applied to the neck base, neck and upper back massage, neck range of motion exercises, and expert physical therapy